November 11 is Veterans Day. THANK YOU veterans for serving. My father was in the Army during World War II, so I hail from a military family. I appreciate your dedication and sacrifice.
And I also thank you for letting the National Park Service waive all entrance fees for everyone on Veterans Day. Unless you are over 62 and have a Park Pass, you just saved yourself $35 per!
There’s a lot to enjoy today in our Las Vegas backyard.
Lake Mead is a National Recreation area. I love this park! I love walking over Hoover Dam with my right hand in Arizona and my left hand in Nevada. I love hiking the Historic Railroad Trail with Bensley, my Labradoodle, up to the gorgeous Mike O’Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge. You don’t have to drive to Utah to experience a slot canyon because they are here too.
[pw_map address=”601 Nevada Way Boulder City NV 89005″]
For you non-locals, this park has 1.5 million acres of mountains, canyons, valleys and two vast lakes (Lake Mead and Lake Mohave.)
Tule Springs Fossil Beds is a National Monument. Mammoths, lions and camels once roamed the wetlands just north of Las Vegas. Really! The fossil beds here preserve their lifestyle and history. The paleontology goes back 200,000 years. More really! Experience life in Las Vegas before slot machines.
Not too far from Las Vegas is Death Valley National Park. It is the largest National Park outside Alaska (It has 3.4 million acres.) Great hiking there this time of year. This spot is typically the hottest place in the United States. Witness the low valley floors crusted with barren salt flats. (Don’t be a jerk and drive over them!)
Did you know these mountains once supplied the entire world with borax?
FYI, the National Park System includes more than 85 million acres. It not only includes national parks but also national battlefields and seashores. There is at least one national park in every state.
If the outdoors is not your thing (understandable after the jungles of Viet Nam or the sands of Iraq), how about a FREE lunch (or dinner?)
If you are a veteran, you can eat for FREE at a lot of local Las Vegas eateries. This is to honor your service and help you forget those MREs.
Some options for hungry veterans include:
- Station Casinos buffets.
- Carrabba’s. Free calamari with the purchase of any entree for not only veterans, but active military, police officers and firefighters. The chain offers a 10 percent discount to all of these groups every day.
- Applebee’s. There’s a FREE Veterans Day menu.
- Grimaldi’s. Enjoy 25 percent off all food.
- Starbucks. FREE coffee for veterans, active duty service men and women and military spouses.
- Miller’s Ale House. Enjoy 50 percent off your meal. The discount does not include alcohol.
- Red Robin. Veterans can chow down on a FREE Tavern Double Burger with Bottomless Steak Fries.
- IHOP. Enjoy a patriotic red, white and blue stack of buttermilk pancakes. (Strawberries, blueberry compote and whipped cream create the red, white and blue in case you were curious.)
Once again, thanks for serving.
((hugs)) BETH Ellyn
YOUR Las Vegas Real Estate Concierge
702.758.4318 Talk. Text. SMS. Video chat
Henderson Homes & Lifestyle Facebook bid-ness page
MBA: L’ecole du Hard Knocks
Licensed in Nevada since 1996: I have previous!
When competence AND creativity matter!
Latest posts by Beth Ellyn Rosenthal (see all)
- FREE Fun in Las Vegas: 4-Letter Friday - March 31, 2023
- FREE Fun in Las Vegas: 4-Letter Friday - March 24, 2023
- FREE Fun in Las Vegas: 4-Letter Friday! - March 24, 2023