Las Vegas is hot but this week-end it will be hottest. But the rising mercury is no reason not to have a terrific time. It’s Father’s Day. It’s Juneteenth. Here are some FREE things to do in Las Vegas.
Welcome to America’s newest federal holiday: Juneteenth.
The holiday is not new to Las Vegas, however. This year we are celebrating our 20th Juneteenth festival. It began as a small art exhibit created by educator Diane Pollard. The triggering reason: to support The Rainbow Dreams Academy Charter School, which provides yearly scholarships to the sadly underserved students of the Historic Westside.
Here is a rundown of the various celebrations, all FREE:
- Las Vegas Juneteenth Celebration/Kianga Isoke Palacio Park. This is a live, outdoor event (love these post-Covid.) There will be tastes of the city, live performances by local entertainers and community speakers to honor the day. From 6-9 pm.
- Juneteenth Black Family Reunion Carnival/Easy Days Mini Mart. The Black Market by Easy Days is supplying the food trucks. There will be a carnival and live music. From 11 am to 8 pm.
- Celebrating Juneteenth/DISCOVERY Children’s Museum. There will be a flag-raising ceremony and a poetry reading by the Poet Laureate of Clark County. Plus other fun stuff for kids. However, this is FREE only for the first 200 kids.
- Pride plus Juneteenth in the Alley/Ferguson’s Downtown. This celebration in Ferguson’s famed alley happens both tonight and tomorrow night from 5-9 pm. The market is highlighting LGBTQIA+ artists.
Did you know that Opal Lee walked from her home in Fort Worth, Texas to Washington DC five years ago to campaign for a federal Juneteenth holiday? President Biden invited her to watch him sign the bill. (She’s now 94 and flew.)
She has walked 2.5 miles in protest every year to symbolize the 2.5 years it took before Texas slaves in Galveston learned they were free on June 19, 1865.
Enjoy Moana in the park
No one I know likes paying property taxes, but I am glad I pay Clark County multiple times (being Vegas’s most caring landlord). Because Clark County Parks and Recreation has terrific FREE events all year long.
What young girl doesn’t love Moana? Bring blankets and chairs to Lone Mountain Discovery Park for a FREE screening of Moana.
In addition there is FREE food, drinks, popcorn and cookies. Delicious!
Did you know, Chris Jackson is the uncredited singing voice of Chief Tui? The Chris Jackson of Hamilton and Bull fame.
Honor thy father
I can’t speak for fathers, but I’d bet the best FREE gift you can give your Dad is the gift of time. How about spending time with him? I know you are busy, but this is important.
I was in my 60s when I lost my dad. He was three weeks shy of his 89th birthday. I still miss him every day. I wish I could spend Sunday with him….
Have a great week-end, Las Vegas.
((hugs)) BETH Ellyn
YOUR Las Vegas Real Estate Concierge
“Bet on the house odds with BE”
MBA: L’ecole du Hard Knocks
Licensed in Nevada since 1996: I have previous!
When competence AND creativity matter!
Latest posts by Beth Ellyn Rosenthal (see all)
- FREE Fun in Las Vegas: 4-Letter Friday - March 31, 2023
- FREE Fun in Las Vegas: 4-Letter Friday - March 24, 2023
- FREE Fun in Las Vegas: 4-Letter Friday! - March 24, 2023